1.29.2015

How Jehovah's Witnesses Taught Me to Never Trust Anyone.

I live in Germany. It's like An American in Paris except Germany and no cool musical dance numbers. Just a lot of rain. And bread. Lots of bread. Anyway, I was recently visited by two very nice Jehovah's Witnesses. Here's the story:

I'm helping the kids with their laundry and the doorbell buzzes. Thinking it might be our landlord, I go down to open it. On the other side of the door however, is not our kindly landlord with the goofy hat, but two smiling German women with cute hats. And yes, I said smiling Germans. It happens.

The younger one introduces herself, first name only, and this is her mom.

Okay. Good for you.

 Then she says she wants to ask me a few questions about government, says she's looking for English-speaking people.

So I'm thinking this is some kind of survey thing or this girl is gathering info for statistics or something.

She babbles something about corruption, and asks why I think that is.

So I give some sort of answer and she says yes, here, let me show you this bible verse that gives an explanation.

So I'm like, ... o... k... I'm being polite at this point, but I really want them to go. My hair's a mess, I'm in sweatpants, and to be perfectly honest, I was using my sweater to cover up my non-bra.

I then learned that the kingdom of god is the corruption-less government that god promised us. I even got a nifty pamphlet... and caught completely off guard.

So the lesson here is that when some nice person comes to your door implying that she's just trying to get an American's opinion on European governments, close the door and run because she's a politician for Jesus. Okay, I mean seriously, here I am thinking I finally got asked questions that might go into some kind of poll results or something and then all of a sudden, Jesus walked the earth. That's very disconcerting. I mean, how am I supposed to trust anything anyone says ever again? I feel so used...


No comments:

Post a Comment